It might sound like a bit of a stretch, when I say, that you will become a better person when you aim for a capsule wardrobe, but hear me out.
The following 5 secrets will make you want to try it, I promise.
1. Imagine a wardrobe full of your absolute favorite outfits. To get there, you have to decide what your signature style is. Which colors, which elements, which cuts and materials, and in which combination show the world who you want to be.
Once you developed your style, your complete capsule wardrobe will boost your confidence because it makes you look and feel your best.For me the journey of developing my style, made me learn to say no to the stuff I didn't like without feeling bad about it. And that has helped in a lot of other areas in my life.
2. Having a capsule wardrobe will save you a lot of time. Getting dressed becomes easy without feeling frustrated or overwhelmed. It is one big decision less in the morning, which leaves you less stressed and relaxed for the rest of the day. Starting the day with fun, not frustration, has been a game-changer for my mood swings lately.
3. It will save you money in the long run. Investing in a capsule wardrobe will allow you to own higher-quality pieces as you will need a lot less. There is no more need to buy cheap brands with a very questionable ecological and moral footprint. I have been feeling bad buying cheap brands for a long time. But the feeling of needing more all the time had made it difficult to say no to them. With working towards my capsule wardrobe, I know exactly what piece I want, like lets say a dark grey cashmere hoodie, so I google that. And because I am looking for a specific piece, not a brand, I can check all the second-hand sites first. There you can find amazing quality for little money.
4. Because every single piece will look amazing on you, being the perfect color and cut for your complexion and body shape, it reduces guilt and shame feelings around cloths. This is a big one I think, as I was not even aware of how much energy gets sucked out of me by all the pieces in my wardrobe, that don't fit me anymore, whispering horrible body-shaming things into my ears.
5. A capsule wardrobe goes perfectly with values like sustainability, less consumption, reducing our carbon footprint, only buy what you really need, minimalism, and tiny house living. By decluttering and donating everything that you don't need, it is very easy to tell what's missing and get just that.
If you would like to read more on what makes a capsule wardrobe, head over to my post from last week.
Mindful shopping is very important to people like you and me. We like to support small businesses, sustainable and fair production. And although my wardrobe is not entirely a capsule just as yet, I am loving the journey towards it.
Please let me know in the comments how you would like your wardrobe to look in the future. Do you like the idea of it being a capsule?